Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sorting Sedimentary Rocks

When I copied and pasted the data table that I had created into my blog, the formatting went crazy! I couldn't figure out how else to create a table while blogging.

The categories for my data table are: Card #, Color, Reaction to Acid, Observations, Location Found, and Type of Rock.

1
Light brown
No fizz
Gritty, ripple marks
Cecilton, MD
Sandstone
2
Light gray
Fizz
Brachiopod fossil, rough
Yorklyn, DE
Limestone
3
Reddish-brown
No fizz
Layers, gritty
Wyoming
Sandstone
4
Black
No fizz
Layers, smooth, leaf imprint
Wellsboro, PA
Shale
5
Beige
No fizz
Fish fossil, smooth, layers
Texas
Shale
6
White
Fizz
Shell fossils, rough
Miami, FL
Limestone
7
Creamy white
No fizz
Fine gritty, sugary
Cape Henlopen, DE
Sandstone
8
Dark gray
No fizz
Ripple marks, smooth layers
Jim Thorpe, PA
Shale

If the rocks fizzed when exposed to acid then I automatically assumed that they were limestone since this fizzing indicates the presence of calcium carbonate. I then used primarily texture to divide the six remaining rocks. If the texture was rough or gritty I assumed that the rocks were sandstone and if the texture was smooth and layered I assumed that they were shale.

I believe that most students would be comfortable setting up the data tables required for Investigation 3, Part 1. They should have had experience creating and filling in charts and data tables in other units. If students had trouble I would assist them in identifying what the relevant aspects of a rock's description are. In order to scaffold the lesson, a data table that is already set up could be provided to students who are struggling. This data table could provide students with as much or as little guidance as is necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment